Use this letter to express your sympathies after a major disaster. This may be a death, the loss of a home in a fire, or other significant bad news.
Be sure to customize this letter with the appropriate information, such as the nature of the disaster and how you found out about it (if appropriate).
In the case of a death, if you have a connection to the deceased, share a happy memory or anecdote. The more specific you can be, the better.
- Don’t include salesy business materials or an excessive signature. Be personal.
- Resist the urge to offer ways to “solve” or “get on with things” after the disaster.
- Handwriting this note is preferable, but if you do type/print it, do not use your full business letterhead.
Included in the downloadable .zip file is:
- A PDF file with instructions on how to use the letter (and the full copy of the letter)
- Recommended subject lines if you choose to use this letter as an email message
- Original Word .doc file
- Original plain text .txt file